The Rotary Club of Lubbock, Texas was organized on the 1st of February, 1921,
as Club Number 812 in Rotary International (then called the International
Association of Rotary Clubs). During the early part of the year 1920, Walter A.
Myrick, Jr., visited with the Beaumont Rotary Club, and came back to Lubbock
enthusiastic about Rotary. Members of the Rotary Club of Amarillo had surveyed
Lubbock at about the same time and were of the opinion a Rotary club should be
organized in Lubbock.
Walter A. Myrick, Jr., met with Roscoe Wilson, Neil H. Wright, A.B. Conley and
Jed Rix, and decided to proceed with the organization of a Rotary club. They,
together with C.M. Ballenger, M.B. Hilburn, J.A. Wilson, J.L. Dow, J.O. Jones,
W.H. Meador, L.B. Hunt, Curtis Keen, Walter S. Posey, George W. Briggs, J.T.
Hutchinson, R.H. Martin, and C.J. Wagner were charter members. These men met
on December 20,1920, and elected officers of the club. Walter A. Myrick, Jr., was
the first president of the Club. led Rix was elected Vice-president, and L.E. Hunt,
The Amarillo Rotary Club was the sponsor of The Rotary Club of Lubbock.
Finally, after more than a year of meeting without a charter, the Club members
joined with their wives and friends on the evening of February 1, 1921, at the
Merrill Hotel and the Charter of The Rotary Club of Lubbock, Texas, was delivered
to President Walter A. Myrick, Jr., by Lutcher Stark of Orange, Texas,
Governor of District 113.